23 February 2014

On: COVERAGE and LOGLINES

Don't listen to other people's opinions about your writing unless (1) they buy scripts for a living, or (2) you really like their writing a lot.


I really like everything 120_pages says on Reddit's r/screenwriting.  Including the above quote which I agree with.  In principle.  But I still put up a page today with a short list of coverage sites that have been recommended by users because some of us just have little choice if we want to get any kind of decent notes. 

I finished a first draft of a script today, and I have a feeling stuff is out of order.  Like - I should have done the middle thing in the beginning, that sort of feeling.  But I can't see it from this distance (immersed in the story).   I need some objective feedback. 

I suggest asking for the kind of coverage you want.  If you have a concern, if you think your characters are flat, ask them to focus on that. 

I also suggest you do not pay for someone else to write your logline.  It's too important.  Go research and read and maybe, if you trust someone and respect their opinion, get feedback until you have something that sparks for you.  If you can't write a decent logline, chances are, you don't know what story you are telling. 

A poster showed up the other day with the most unbelievably boring logline I'd ever read.  There was nowhere to start because there was no story at all.  Then, quite by accident, I saw his script posted on another forum.  I thought I'd read it and maybe get a handle on his logline.  Most boring 5 pages I'd ever read. I just gave up. 

But after you listen, also ignore.  A guy writing slasher flicks who reads your rom-com is not going to give you the best notes, more than likely, and with bigger services, you won't know who your reader was. So, keep the salt shaker handy.  Don't crawl into your closet for week like I do.

Be a smart consumer.  Put the name of the reader or service you are considering into Google and see what forum posts pop up.

Find out what you are paying for and compare.  For instance, this is what Franklin Leonard says about Black List coverage:
The Black List charges $50 per screenplay ...The reader gets half that. ...  (Three paragraphs total. No plot summary)
You can get two pages of notes for $45 from a WGA screenwriter at The Story Coach. It's worth it to take some time and comparison shop.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment